Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

"You want to know what I am..."

"You want to know what I am, do you? Bull, you are a man of science. Grub in the roots of those trees and find out the truth about them. Syme, you are a poet. Stare at those morning clouds. But I tell you this, that you will have found out the truth of the last tree and the top-most cloud before the truth about me. You will understand the sea, and I shall be still a riddle; you shall know what the stars are, and not know what I am."
-spoken by Sunday, from The Man Who was Thursday, by G. K. Chesterton

  
Yes, once again I am quoting The Man Who Was Thursday. I really can't help myself, so please don't hold it against me! This book is completely packed with wisdom and a depth of understanding that has a tendency to give me a tiny peek at the magnificence of God and fills me with wonder and awe. (I can't articulate very well on this point, as I usually express most of these sensations with sounds, or motions of the hand, etc. ;)) I'm sure you know what I mean. I can read something that I may recognize as beautiful without it actually gripping me, then I'll come across something that for some reason awakens me. Someone may express an old truth that I took for granted, but they'll put it in such a way that it hits home for the first time.  In the words of Saint Augustine:  "Thou hast enlightened, Thou hast shone forth, and my blindness is dispelled."


"You will understand the sea, and I shall be still a riddle; you shall know what the stars are, and not know what I am."
The purpose of this post was to give my take on this statement of Sunday's; to comment on it, and elaborate on the points of its awe inspiring meaning. But now that I come to it, I cannot. I will leave it to speak for itself. I can add nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment