Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pimpernel Smith (1941)

A bit of witty dialogue from Leslie Howard's Pimpernel Smith.


General von Graum: But we have one problem. "To be or not to Be?" as our great German poet said.
Professor Horatio Smith: German? But that's Shakespeare.
General Von Graum: But you don't know?
Professor Horatio Smith: Why, I know it's Shakespeare. I thought Shakespeare was English.
General von Graum
: No, no, no. Shakespeare is a German. Professor Schuessbacher has proved it once and for all. Professor Horatio Smith: Yes, how very upsetting. Still, you must admit that the English translations are most remarkable.
General von Graum: Good night.
Professor Horatio Smith
: Good night. Good night. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."
General von Graum:
What is that?
Professor Horatio Smith
: That's one of the most famous lines in German literature.



Professor Horatio Smith: I'm so glad to find you're not busy, because I've been doing a little research for you...
General von Graum
: That's just what I wanted to do.
Professor Horatio Smith: ...On the identity of Shakespeare.
General von Graum: I'd like to know how you spent this afternoon.
Professor Horatio Smith
: What's the matter with you? You seem upset. I spent the afternoon at the library at the embassy. Now this, this proves conclusively that Shakespeare wasn't really Shakespeare at all.
General von Graum: No?
Professor Horatio Smith: No. He was the Earl of Oxford. Now you can't pretend that the Earl of Oxford was a German, can you?
Professor Horatio Smith: [Speaking to the German Officer] Can you?
German Officer: No!
Professor Horatio Smith: Well there you are.
German Officer: I didn't come here to discuss Shakespeare. If you want me, you know where I am.
Professor Horatio Smith: The Earl of Oxford was a very bright Elizabethan light.

No comments:

Post a Comment